Thursday 23 January 2014

My Attempt

At first I thought I couldn't do this project because I didn't have the right type of paint and didn't know where I could get the cold leaf or how to apply it and so on. I decided to just start anyways because hey, what's the worst that could happen? Thankfully, oil paint worked just fine, although it made the whole process a lot longer because it dries a lot slower than egg tempera paint, meaning I would have to wait a long time before applying a new layer of light. 
In the image, the scroll looks completely red. This was the darkest colour in the scroll so it became the base layer. After waiting a long time, I could then apply lighter colours: (you may have to do a little head-twisting)
As you see, the scroll became a lot lighter. This is really how it works with the whole icon. 
In the picture above, the red still hasn't been done. There I only a base coat of paint. After waiting for that layer to dry, I added the layers of light, giving the clothes a more realistic look. 
As you can see, it really is a longer process than you'd expect. 

For the gold leaf, I did some research and found that I could actually buy it at Michael's! I did so and then tested it out a lot till I could get the process right. In the end, I was reallllllllyyy happy that I didn't just leave the background this orangy colour because the gold actually gave it the feel of an icon. It made it look like the icons I see in church all the time. 







No comments:

Post a Comment